Welcome to our Interior Page!
Did you know that the ASBC has an Interior Coordinator to help serve our ever growing interior communities? We have a brand new community support group running in Kelowna. These meetings provide essential opportunities to connect and network with other individuals whose lives are changed by ASD and listen to guest speakers on a wide range of meaningful and relevant topics. We are always looking for people who are interested in serving additional communities. Let us know if you’d like to volunteer to become a Support Group Facilitator in your area (No experience required!).
Meet Lisa, our Interior Support Group Coordinator
Hi, my name is Lisa Watson. I live in Kelowna, BC. I have an 11 year old son with profound autism. When my son was diagnosed in 2008 I began an informal support group of parents/caregivers and started sharing autism information and events with these families. The people that I have met because of my son’s autism have been a huge support for me and my hope is that I can make navigating the autism world a little less isolating for others. My interest in helping others along with my life experience, has led me to my role as the Interior Support Group Coordinator for the Autism Society of BC. Please contact me at: email@example.com – I would love to hear from you!
The following is a list of just some of the referral/support services Lisa provides:
- Connect individuals to autism service providers
- Help families & individuals relocating to new community, province, or country
- Lend a sympathetic ear when the autism maze feels overwhelming
- Answer questions about the diagnosis process or autism in general example: “my child or loved one may have autism what do I do next?”
- Answer question from professionals working in the Autism community
- Connect individuals to Autism resources through our lending library
- Connect individuals with local support groups
- Connect individuals to recreational programs and camps
And Information Surrounding:
- New to diagnosis
- Educational related issues
- Life transitions
- Transition to adulthood
- Advocacy issues
- Current autism research
- Info about RDSP’s, Disability tax credit, PWD and other programs
To find out more about our community support groups or to volunteer to become a community support group facilitator please email firstname.lastname@example.org.