AutismBC Membership Changes
We are thrilled that our membership has grown so much over the past four years. In 2017, we had roughly 1,200 members, today (April 2021) that number has grown to nearly 7,000! To better engage our growing membership and community in a meaningful way, we re-structured our membership to include two different categories: Community Members and Society Members. Curious about what that means for you? Check out the details below.
If you were one of our amazing 7,000 members prior to our Extraordinary General Meeting on July 13, 2021, we want to thank you for your continued involvement and engagement with AutismBC. We are excited to now call you a Community Member.
Check out the membership details below and learn how to apply for either a Community or Society Membership:
By becoming an AutismBC Community Member, you gain access to valuable programs, services, supports, and inclusive events!
Community Membership includes access to:
- Referrals for services
- Community support groups
- Vetted, credible information and resources
- Inclusive social clubs
- Free ticket giveaways
- AutismBC Goes community events
- Discounts on workshops and trainings
- Regionally specific AutismBC newsletters
- Connection to the largest autism network in BC
By becoming an AutismBC Society Member, you will have all the same benefits as Community Members, but you will also be bound by and benefit from AutismBC’s Bylaws which govern voting, general meetings, electing directors and other governance matters.
Here are some important changes and updates for AutismBC Society Members:
- You will have the right to vote at general meetings on issues affecting AutismBC and its members (recognized under the Societies Act of BC).
- You can pursue a director position on the AutismBC Board of Directors and/or be part of electing AutismBC’s directors.
- You can share your feedback with AutismBC’s leadership through annual surveys and member engagement activities.
- When you become an AutismBC Society Member, your contact information can be accessed by other Society Members (according to the procedures in the Societies Act of B.C. Section 24 (1)).
We are grateful to all our past, present, and future members that step up to help AutismBC achieve its mission to empower, support, and connect the autism community in BC. Our goal is to have a membership that reflects the diversity of our community and goes above and beyond to promote inclusion and acceptance. We value each of our members and will not stand for intolerance based on age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or preferred language. You can read our full Statement on Inclusivity here.
To apply to be a society member please fill out this form HERE
If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to [email protected]