Skip to main content
WIN A CAR!Buy Tickets

Autism Q&A

Guide to Accessing Financial Benefits as an Autistic Adult

February 11th, 2022


For Autistic Adults

If you’re a newly diagnosed autistic adult in BC, you may be wondering about accessing financial benefits and services that are available in the province.

The information on government websites is complicated and can be overwhelming for neurodivergent folks. This article should help make the information more accessible to understand. 

Representation Agreements:
A representation agreement is a document that allows people with disabilities to list a few people they trust as their representatives.
What is a Representation Agreement?

A representation agreement is a document that allows people with disabilities to list a few people they trust as their representatives. You permit your representatives to speak or act on your behalf. These representatives help them with making important financial or legal decisions.

Who can be my representative?

Your representative must be:

  1. 19 years of age or older
  2. Willing to act as your representative.
  3. Someone you trust who shares your values and beliefs
  4. More than one representative or an alternative representative
What decisions can my representative make for me?

Some examples:

  • Financial
  • Health & Well-Being 
  • Education & Employment 
  • Legal Guardian
  • Day-to-day personal care

Depending on your support needs your representative can assist you in making decisions or speaking on your behalf. Representatives can be family members or close family friends. For example – identify people you trust with access to your bank account to help you with your finances. Representatives can assist with submitting monthly earnings declarations to the government, which is required to receive disability assistance cheques.

Representatives can also speak to government workers on your behalf when you are too overwhelmed.

Consider the decisions you are capable of making yourself, such as determining how you spend your money, budgeting for weekly expenses such as groceries, and doing some personal banking, but ensuring a representation agreement allows you to have your trust there to support you when you need them.

Persons With Disabilities (PWD) Benefit: 
What is Persons With Disabilities Benefit?

In British Columbia, Persons with Disabilities may apply through the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction to receive up to $1,483.50 of income assistance monthly to pay for rent, bills, food, and other necessities.

As of August 2023, here are the PWD benefit amounts:


Support Amount

Shelter Maximum

Maximum Benefit

Single person with PWD




Single parent with PWD, one child




Couple, one person with PWD




Couple, one person with PWD, 1 child




Couple, both with PWD




Couple, both with PWD, 1 child




How do I qualify for the PWD Benefit?

To receive the PWD benefit, you must:

  • Be 18 years old or older
  • Have a severe physical or developmental disability that continues for more than two years
  • Be significantly restricted in your ability to perform daily living activities.
  • Require assistance with daily living activities from another person, an assistive device, or an assistance animal
  • Fill out a PWD designation application.
How do I apply for the PWD benefit?

The first step is to apply for the Persons with Disabilities designation. After you submit your application, the Ministry will review it and let you know if you meet the eligibility criteria for the designation.

For more information on accessing PWD, Visit here.

To view a current rate table example for the PWD, click here.

Disability Tax Credit (DTC):
Disability Tax Credit is a non-refundable tax credit
What is Disability Tax Credit?

The Disability Tax Credit is a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities, or their supporting persons reduce the income tax they may have to pay each year.

Many people with disabilities require extra support, which costs more money to provide. The DTC ensures that people who need these extra supports get some relief for diverse ability-related costs since these are unavoidable additional expenses that other taxpayers don’t have to deal with.

Who is eligible for DTC?

Your eligibility for the tax credit is based on the effects of your disability on your life. To qualify for the Disability Tax Credit, you must:

  • Be “markedly restricted.” This could mean challenges with vision, speaking, walking, feeding, and dressing yourself, or needing life support.
  • Have a medical professional’s certification of your impairment. A medical practitioner, such as a family doctor or psychiatrist, has to certify that you have a severe or prolonged impairment.
How does DTC affect other benefits?

Once you qualify for the Disability Tax Credit, you can access other federal, provincial, or territorial programs, such as the Registered Disability Savings Plan. However, your ability to receive the tax credit is unaffected by receiving other national and provincial benefits like PWD.

Tips about DTC
  • DTC approval is not about labels or diagnoses; it’s about how your disability impacts your daily functioning.
  • The DTC can be retroactive for up to 10 years; it is worth trying to backdate.
  • Consult a professional or support agency like Disability Alliance BC (DABC).
  • When you apply for DTC, include a detailed list of all daily challenges. It is crucial to consider home, school, work, and community environments and list all barriers and challenges. Include all information, such as medical reports, letters from medical professionals, and assessments.

Read our Q & A What’s DTC blog to learn more about the DTC:  Disability Tax Credit (DTC) — Autism Q & A, Caregivers, Funding — AutismBC

Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP):
As a person with a disability who has an RDSP, it’s comforting to know that I have this money saved up to give myself financial security for the future.
What is Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)?

The RDSP is a government savings plan intended to help parents and others save for the long-term financial security of people eligible for the Disability Tax Credit. It is one of the best investing opportunities for parents to secure financial freedom for their children when they are no longer able to care for them.

As an adult, you can still access or set up an RDSP. 

Who qualifies for RDSP?

Persons who are approved for DTC and/or PWD may open an RDSP. Only one RDSP account can be set up per individual, and only that person can receive any payments. 

As a person with a disability who has an RDSP, it’s comforting to know that I have this money saved up to give myself financial security for the future. If you get your diagnosis as an adult, and your parents or caregivers are no longer able to help you get an RDSP, you can still access an RDSP for yourself. You can connect with organizations such as Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network and Disability Alliance BC, who can help you through the application process.

Find out how to apply for RDSP as an adult here. 

Read our blog on the top tips for navigating an RDSP: RDSP Tips and Resources — Autism Q & A, Caregivers, Funding — AutismBC 

For more information and assistance accessing the Disability Tax Credit and the Registered Disability Savings Plan, please go to 

To enroll in workshops and learn more about the RDSP, visit Registered Disability Savings Plan ( 


Other Resources:

Government of Canada Benefits Finder 

Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefit Toolkit  

Outreach Support Centre 1-877-631-2657 – Service Canada  (No waiting in queue and you can speak to someone immediately. Our phone lines are open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. local number above to speak with an agent. Service Canada’s benefits and services, please call if you do not have internet access, or require help accessing services.) Note:  Someone will pick up almost immediately and there is very little waiting on hold 

Skip to content