Skip to main content
#EquityIsWorthwhileLearn More

Autism Q&A

Moving to BC and Finding Autism Support

November 17th, 2020


For For Caregivers

If you are planning on moving to B.C. and want to know what autism funding supports are there?
Moving to BC?

Autism programs, funding and supports available vary from province to province. If you are moving to British Columbia, these are some provincial programs you may need or want to apply for:

  1. Apply for Medical Services Plan (MSP)
  2. Apply (if applicable) for Pharmacare
  3. Apply for BC Services Card or BC Driver’s License
  4. Locate your Regional Health Authority and find a family doctor

In BC, we have access to provincial government funding for autism services through the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). People 18-years-old and under are entitled to funding after they receive a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).


Moving to BC. What Autism Funding and Supports are there?

Funding Under Age 6

Families can access up to $22,000 per year to help pay for eligible autism services, therapies, or equipment. You are required to select service providers from the Registry of Autism Service Providers (RASP) except for registered family counselling/therapy providers. 

 Funding Ages 6 – 18

Families can access up to $6,000 per year to help pay for eligible, out-of-school autism services and therapies. You can, but are not required to, select service providers from the (RASP). There are additional support services from the Ministry of Education.

If you are moving to BC with a previous diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), the assessment must be confirmed by a qualified BC specialist before you can apply for autism funding. You can do this by making an appointment with a qualified B.C specialist:

  • Pediatrician;
  • Psychiatrist;
  • Registered Psychologist.

Bring the Confirmation of Previous Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (PDF) form with you to your scheduled appointment.

If your existing assessment does not meet BC standards, you may need to have a new diagnostic assessment done in BC before applying for autism funding. For more information, please visit our Autism Assessment in BC blog. 

Programs for People Over 18-years-old

Autism Diagnosis for Adults 

Persons with Disabilities (PWD) 

Community Living BC (CLBC) 

Skip to content