Waiting for Assessment Workshop
Do you wonder if your child may be on the autism spectrum? Are you feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information available on the internet? Do you want to meet other people and families who are also starting their autism journeys? If you answered yes to any of those questions, we encourage you to register for our Waiting for Assessment workshop. It was developed specifically for parents and caregivers and is frequently a family’s first touchpoint with the autism community.
The goal of our workshop is to provide new families with the tools they need to best prepare themselves and their child for the, often long, road ahead and to ensure they are prepared for the assessment process. In three hours, you will get an introduction to topics including:
- Basic information about autism
- How your family can prepare for an autism assessment
- What you can do while you are waiting
- The pros and cons of public and private assessments and diagnoses
- What to expect after the assessment and after the diagnosis
- Tips on coping strategies, how to talk to friends and family, etc.
- A chance to ask questions to a Board-Certified Behavioural Analyst, or BCBA.
We encourage parents and caregivers who are considering, pursuing, or awaiting an autism assessment for a child in BC to attend our workshop. The speakers change depending on when and where your workshop is, but you can rest assured that they will be a Board Certified Behavioural Analyst with many years of experience working with people on the autism spectrum and their families. You can learn more about our workshop presenters here.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact us here or call 1-888-437-0880.