- This event has passed.
AutismBC Goes to Music Therapy (Virtual)
August 10 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am
If you are curious if music therapy could benefit your loved one, try a free virtual session Wednesday August 10th 2022 at 9:30 am.
Try Music Therapy Online with Erin Koop!
Best suited for ages 3-10, interactive group session will be filled with music, movement, and more. Erin is happy to answer questions for parents after the kids have had some fun!
What is music therapy?
“Music Therapy is a discipline in which Certified Music Therapists (MTAs) use music purposefully within therapeutic relationships to support development, health, and well-being. Music therapists use music safely and ethically to address human needs within cognitive, communicative, emotional, musical, physical, social, and spiritual domains.”
Canadian Association of Music Therapists: 2020
For more information, check out www.musictherapy.ca
Music therapists use music-based interventions and the therapeutic relationship to work towards non-musical goals. The overriding goal of Music Therapy is to improve quality of life and promote wellness. Within that framework, there is a wide variety of domains that Music Therapy can be used to address, including the following:
- Social: attention span, engagement, confidence, independence, active listening, turn taking, following directions, positive social connections, teamwork, making choices, and leadership skills
- Communication: self-expression, vocabulary, speech, learning English, using Alternative and Augmentative Communication, and receptive communication skills
- Motor: body awareness, fine and gross motor skills, range of motion/flexibility, muscle tone/strength, breath capacity, endurance, coordination, and perceptual motor functioning
- Emotional: self-expression, creativity/imagination, emotional awareness, self-regulation, impulse control, dealing with anxiety, coping skills, problem solving, and perspective taking
- Academic: spelling, reading/comprehension, writing, math, critical thinking, memory, and basic school concepts
- Other: sensory processing/regulation, leisure skills, pain management, relaxation, executive functioning, and self-care skills
A music therapist can also collaborate with other members of a client’s support team to increase consistency and encourage the generalization of skills across contexts.
Registration is required for this event. Please Register HERE.
Sarah will send you the link to the private zoom room closer to the date.
Erin Koop, BMT, MTA Music Therapist Accredited
Erin Koop (she/her) is a self-employed music therapist, working in a variety of settings, designing and facilitating Group or 1:1 Music Therapy sessions for people of all ages and abilities. She specializes in working with children and youth online (nationally) or in-person within Greater Victoria. Sessions are specifically designed to encourage development in pre-determined goal areas such as social, communication, cognitive, and motor skills. If you would like more information, feel free to contact Erin through her website: www.erinkoop.com