Preparing for your child’s transition into adulthood? Register for our Launch into Life! program.
Transitioning into adulthood and the community beyond high school can be challenging for individuals with autism and their families. Comprehensive transition planning can help to manage the challenges during this time and maximize potential for each person to live a full and meaningful life. The Launch program was developed to help families prepare for and respond to key life transitions, and to guide the journey from adolescence to adulthood.
This workshop series will help you create an Individual Transition Plan for your child and provide valuable information about the following topics;
- Understanding preparing for key transitions across the lifespan
- Managing health and mental health issues
- Navigating the change from pediatrics to adult health and support care systems
- Finding the right social and recreation programs in the community
- Creating a shared vision for your child’s future
- Developing life and vocational skills
- Exploring volunteer and work opportunities
- Understanding housing and supportive programming options into adulthood
- Legal and Financial issues including guardianship and program funding.
Who should attend? Families and young people (13+) living with ASD and other developmental disabilities. Please note youth should be able to attend breakout session independently and participate in identifying goals and creating a vision for their future.
Dates (please note you must be able to attend the two sessions in March)
March 2 (6.30pm – 8.30pm) Parents – Winslow Centre, Coquitlam
March 4 (9am – 3pm) Parents and Youth – 1551 Salisbury Ave, Port Coquitlam
April 20 (6.30pm – 8.30pm) Parents BOOSTER Session (optional)
Register for ASBC Autism 101 Workshop
Prince George – February 24th (7pm – 9pm)
(Room 5-183, University of Northern BC, 3333 University Way, Prince George, V2N 4Z9)
Dawsons Creek – April 21st (7pm – 9pm)
(Meeting Room, Super 8 Dawson Creek, 1440 Alaska Avenue, Dawson Creek, V1G 1Z5)