- This event has passed.
Community Event: BC People’s First Conference (Surrey)
March 4 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
We will be learning leadership skills, enjoying presentations, sharing stories, playing games, networking, connecting, and having lunch together. Self-advocates supporting self-advocates!
- 9:00 AM: sign in for the event between 9:00am and 9:30am, enjoy a coffee or tea.
- 9:45 AM: event kick off and welcome with our hosts.
- 10:00 AM: presentations and activities between 10:00am and 12:00pm.
- 12:00 PM: lunch, networking, and catching up with friends.
- 1:00 PM: presentations, games, and activities between 1:00pm and 4:00pm.
- 4:15 PM: event wrap up.
Saturday, March 4, 2023
9:00am – 4:30pm (Pacific Time)
Civic Autograph Hotel near Surrey Central Skytrain
Presenters include Margaux Wosk, Sherwin Strong, Jo-Anne Gauthier, Kara Anderson, Manjeet Ghangass, Amanda Hall, and David Johnston. Our hosts for the day include Dara Watson, BCPF President, and Michael McLellan, BCSALN President. Topics include presentation skills, using social media for activism, how to write a blog post and ways to get paid for your blog posts, standing up to ableism, self-advocacy skills, and more. Plus, there will be activities and prizes.
This event is free but you need to register to attend. You do not need to make a donation to attend but we welcome donations. Please register here on Eventbrite by February 24th. When you register it will ask you about accommodation needs, let us know if you:
- have any dietary restrictions
- have accommodation needs
- need transportation support
This presentation is for:
- BCPF members and other self-advocacy group members
- People with disabilities
- Allies and supporters of people with disabilities
- People who wants to learn more about leadership skills and the self-advocacy movement in BC from self-advocates
If you would like to join us virtually instead, please sign up for one or both of these online sessions as part of the event. Click the link for details or to register:
- 11:00 AM – BCPF Leadership Skills Panel: Standing Up To Ableism
- 2:00 PM – BCPF Presentation: Using Social Media For Activism & Advocacy
We are happy to answer any questions, please contact us by email at [email protected]